Saturday, October 24, 2015

Jai Siya Ram

Happy Happy Diwali my virtual friends๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿ’ฅ✨!! The Festival of Lights is back again bringing with it victory of good over evil, light over darkness and of course noise over silence, smoke over fresh air and cholesterol over health. That's because we all know that apart from being the Festival of Lights and all that blah, Diwali is practically incomplete without a tonne of sweets, incessant visits to the houses of friends and relatives to give Diwali wishes , trying to play holi with the colours meant for Rangoli ( design made on the floor to welcome the Gods) and a good 'ole game of cards. 

Of course bursting crackers is like a HUGE part of Diwali, but when you're a green advocate like me you don't do that and end up stuck with all the aunties and the uncles and whining babbies who are scared of all the BOOM BOOM because it hurts their ears but don't realise that in that process they hurt MY ears too, 'cause the whining and booming are like double the torture. So this time I decided to make my Diwali more fun by....... doing absolutely NOTHING new and this time it was even more boring than ever before since I couldn't even complain, or it would have led to the invetiable lecture about how I should be happy about spending time with the family and should be properly grateful to God at least on one day for everything annnnnnd you get the drift right???? Buuut this year it would have been even worse since I am going on a trip and should pray and be happy about the Golden Opportunity. 
So complaining was off limits but on the inside I couldn't help but secretly wish for the Pooja ( prayer ) to be over so that we could get to the part where the food comes in. Another issue that came up yet again this year was my choice of clothes, since my family wanted me to dressed up APPROPRIATELY in Indian wear while I wanted my comfort first by wanting to wear a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt (which believe me is a huge effort from my side since when holidays are going on I am usually in my pjs) and it led to a full blown argument between my mom and I, and she won by cheating and added a bonus lecture about Sanskar like salt to my wounds. But even then Diwali is an awesome festival and I love it. 

But before I go my friend suggested another way of asking people to celebrate a green Diwali, he says,'Date a pataka, instead of burning one.' ( ps pataka means a bomb ). 
So comment and tell me if I managed to change your mind ๐Ÿ˜€



0 comments:

Post a Comment